Monday, March 11, 2013

The Tech Savvy Genealogists' Meme



This particular genealogy meme circulated over a year ago, but at the time, I did not participate.  Since I am away from home and most of my genealogy files, I decided to use this "extra" time to finally post this to my own blog.  

The list should be annotated in the following manner:
 
Things you have already done or found: bold face type
Things you would like to do or find: italicize (colour optional)
Things you haven’t done or found and don’t care to: plain type

Feel free to add extra comments in brackets after each item 

Which of these apply to you?


  1. Own an Android or Windows tablet or an iPad - I want an iPad BAD.  My excuse is that my laptop is so old, it has Windows Vista!  Maybe I'll be good enough that Santa will come through or I'll win the lottery and buy myself one!
  2. Use a tablet or iPad for genealogy related purposes - see above
  3. Have used Skype for genealogy purposes - I have consulted with a genealogy colleague via Skype.
  4. Have used a camera to capture images in a library/archives/ancestor's home  
  5. Use a genealogy software program on your computer to manage your family tree
  6. Have a Twitter account
  7. Tweet daily - I tweet every time I write a blog post - which is almost every day.
  8. Have a genealogy blog   
  9. Have more then one genealogy blog
  10. Have lectured/presented to a genealogy group on a technology topic
  11. Currently an active member of Genealogy Wise  - I think I still have a membership... ???
  12. Have a Facebook Account  -  use it all the time
  13. Have connected with genealogists via Facebook - Yes... and with cousins! 
  14. Maintain a genealogy related Facebook Page 
  15. Maintain a blog or website for a genealogy society 
  16. Have submitted text corrections online to Ancestry, Trove or a similar site
  17. Have registered a domain name
  18. Post regularly to Google+     - again, every time I write a blog post
  19. Have a blog listed on Geneabloggers  
  20. Have transcribed/indexed records for FamilySearch or a similar project
  21. Own a Flip-Pal or hand-held scanner
  22. Can code a webpage in .html 
  23. Own a smartphone - and how did I live before???
  24. Have a personal subscription to one or more paid genealogy databases
  25. Use a digital voice recorder to record genealogy lectures - and I would add to record oral interviews with family members
  26. Have contributed to a genealogy blog carnival 
  27. Use Chrome as a Browser
  28. Have participated in a genealogy webinar
  29. Have taken a DNA test for genealogy purposes  
  30. Have a personal genealogy website
  31. Have found mention of an ancestor in an online newspaper archive
  32. Have tweeted during a genealogy lecture
  33. Have scanned your hardcopy genealogy files - does mostly count???
  34. Use an RSS Reader to follow genealogy news and blogs
  35. Have uploaded a GEDCOM file to a site like Geni, MyHeritage or Ancestry
  36. Own a netbook
  37. Use a computer/tablet/smartphone to take genealogy lecture notes
  38. Have a profile on LinkedIn that mentions your genealogy habit
  39. Have developed a genealogy software program, app or widget
  40. Have listened to a genealogy podcast online   
  41. Have downloaded genealogy podcasts for later listening
  42. Backup your files to a portable hard drive - which I forgot to bring with me on this trip so that is why I am searching for memes to fill out and use as blog posts this week! 
  43. Have a copy of your genealogy files stored offsite
  44. Know about Rootstech
  45. Have listened to a Blogtalk radio session about genealogy
  46. Use Dropbox, SugarSync or other service to save documents in the cloud  - I also use Dropbox to collaberate with another genealogy colleague on a cousin's family tree
  47. Schedule regular email backups - Oh I have them scheduled!  I just don't follow through and do it!
  48. Have contributed to the Familysearch Wiki
  49. Have scanned and tagged your genealogy photographs
  50. Have published a genealogy book in an online/digital format
Well, I've done half of them.  However, there are only eight others that I wish/need to do.  So that's not bad.    The things I wish to do all require money or time, two things I am short on these days.  Oh well, there's always retirement, right?

This list was created by Jill Ball, the Australian Genealogy blogger at the blog "Geniaus" at this link: http://geniaus.blogspot.com/ .  I actually used Heather's Wilkinson Rojo's post from September 2011 on her blog, Nutfield Genealogy, to go by.  Check out the new genealogy memes at Thomas MacEntee's GeneaBlogger website  http://www.geneabloggers.com/genealogy-memeapalooza/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment