Friday, March 8, 2013

Bessie Carter Ranney's 1929 Diary - Week 9, March 3-9

(To read entries from my maternal great-grandmother's 1929 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California." All posts are listed there.)
  
The Players:
The writer is Bessie Carter Ranney, my great-grandmother.  She was 46 at the time of this writing.
Her husband:
Luther Boardman Ranney, my great-grandfather.  He was 59 at the time of this writing.
 Her children:
Kenneth.  He was 20 at the time of this writing.
Alice.  She was 18 at the time of this writing.
Ethel, my grandmother.  She was 16 at the time of this writing.
  Extras:
Viella Crites Hesser, wife of Luther's first cousin, Otho Hesser

Jonathan Elisha "Uncle Jon't" Hesser & his wife, Sarah Catherine "Aunt Kate" Hall Hesser, Luther's uncle and aunt and Otho's parents.
Sunday, March 3, 1929:  "Girls & I went to Sun. School.  Sweeter's & Ortho's here for dinner.  Had a lovely time.  Kathryn bro't L's birthday cake.  Very nice.  Viella not very well.  We drove over to the park in the P.M.  Then got weighed.  I was 217 lbs.  Viella 175 lbs.  Went to Vespers came home & washed the dinner dishes, went to Church in the eve.  Parable of 10 virgins very beautiful & impressing."

Monday, March 4, 1929:  "Inauguration of Pres. Herbert Hoover.  Did up some work then went over to Woessener's & stayed until nearly noon & heard the inaugural address etc.  Washed in the afternoon.  When L. came home the girls & I went up town & did quite a little running around.  Got home and hurried up supper then the girls & I went to hear the Jubilee singers at High School auditorium."


Tuesday, March 5, 1929:  "Reg. section meeting day so I ironed & got work done and went to Miss Moyle's about noon.  We had a fine covered dish luncheon & quilted.  Got home a little after 4.  Alice and I went up town when Luther got home from work.  Ethel was at Lucille's for supper & went to San Bernardino with them.  Kenneth went to study with a boy in the evening."

Wednesday, March 6, 1929:  "Did housework in the forenoon.  Went up and quilted at Miss Moyle's in the afternoon until the girls came for me at 5.  Then went down town.  Stayed at Woessner's in the evening.  Got $1000 of my int. from Sam."


Thursday, March 7, 1929:  "Got the morning's work done and went down to Miss Moyle's & quilted until 11:40 then went to bank & met Kenneth, we had lunch & deposited my int. then shopped, paid bills etc.  Girls met me at Piggly Wiggly & I bo't Ethel crepe sole slippers.  Kenneth came after us.  Ethel went to Lucille's in evening."

My great-grandmother accidentally wrote her journal entry for March 7th twice.  She X'd it out, but I can still read it so I'm going to share it here, if only for the last line:

  "Did up the work in the morning then went to Miss Moyle's at 10 o'clock and worked on the quilt until nearly noon then met Kenneth at noon & went to the Busy B for dinner.  Got Sam's check cashed & paid up my debts.  Met the girls after school and got Ethel's crepe sole slippers.  Kenneth came after us at 5 o'clock.  Came home tired to death."

Friday, March 8, 1929:  Did up the work and Nora came about 10 o'clock with the twins and the new baby.  Stayed until after noon when Velora Weaver came and took Nora, children & I to the Grace Church where the ladies had a baby shower for Nora.  We had a nice time & nice refreshments.  Luther took us all to the show in the evening & Kenneth went to Pearson's after the show was over & helped them move to San Bernardino."

Saturday, March 9, 1929:  Got the work done up.  Alice & I took Luther to Bruce's to work & got the car.  Got San Ber. Sun on way home & looked up ad.  Went to San B. at 9:30 and got the girls each a new dress & a new hat for Alice.  Had dinner & looked up a lot of bargains in the afternoon.  Got home at 4:15.  Went after L. & showed Nora our bargains.  Just read in the eve.  It rained."

No comments:

Post a Comment