Saturday, January 26, 2013

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - The "Other You"

Dear genealogists everywhere, it's Saturday Night!  Time for some Genealogy FUN.  



Your mission, should you decide to accept it (cue the Mission Impossible! music) is to:

 * Tell us about your "other" hobbies or interests outside of genealogy and family history research, writing, speaking, etc.  Be mindful of your family's privacy, though!

* Write a blog post of your own, respond with a comment to this post, or write a Facebook status post or a Google+ Stream post.


Here's mine:


I think my life IS genealogy and family history research... when I'm not working 8am-5pm or doing chores or walking the dog.  LOL.  OK, I do have other interests... they just seem to take a back seat to my genealogy.  But anyway, here they are:

* Scrapbooking.  I've gotten away from it the last couple of years, but I have more than enough supplies and plenty of pictures to keep me busy for many years to come.  I have a few friends who I scrapbook with so that has motivated me to do more of it.

* Traveling and seeing new places.  I don't get to travel much anymore, but I love to visit anywhere new, whether it is a history museum, a Civil War site, a zoo, an aquarium, the beach, or just a nearby park.  

* Reading.  I have gotten back to my reading and I now read two books at once... a traditional bound book at home and a Kindle book on my lunch hour at work.  I am finally getting to read books that I've had around for years just waiting for me to pick them up!  My favorite genre is mystery by far - I love James Patterson, John Grisham, and Dean Koontz - but I also enjoy history books and most anything except science fiction.

 * Movies and TV.  I don't watch a ton of TV, especially since I don't have TV service at home.  I watch TV online and not everything is available so I just have a few favorites, i.e., Covert Affairs, Rizzoli and Isles, Burn Notice, Revenge, The Vampire Diaries, 20/20, Jon Stewart (if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't get any news! LOL), Law and Order:  SVU, and House Hunters.  I do enjoy going to the movies and watching movies at home.  My favorites are romantic comedies.  I want to escape when I read a book or watch a movie, so I HATE sad endings.  I get enough of those in real life!  I want them to live happily ever after.  

* Going out with friends.  I am still in the process of establishing new friendships here in North Carolina, but I have met enough people that I usually have at least one place to go on the weekends.  Tonight is an early Mardi Gras party at a friend's house, where I will participate in another one of my favorite activities:

* Dancing.  I love to dance.  I don't care how I look or who's looking cause it is tremendous fun, freeing, and good exercise.  I am told that I am a good dancer, but I do it for the fun of it.

* Walking.  Usually with my dog cause she loves to go for a walk.  The weather and getting dark so early has not been conducive lately, but I do get out with her on the weekends.  I enjoy hiking... especially if there is a waterfall at the end of the trail!  I am not into 8 mile hikes, but I'm good for 2-3.  

Not very exciting, maybe, but it's my life.  I guess I do have some life outside of genealogy.   Surprising, isn't it?  

3 comments:

  1. What I think is fun is how much we have in common with people that share this genealogy passion...outside of genealogy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Then wouldn't it be great if we all lived closer so we could do these things together?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fun to read about your other interests, Liz, and like Heather, it's neat to see that we share some common ones other than genealogy. Scrapbooking, travel, reading, romantic comedies, walking...check, check, check! And I've discovered I have some North Carolina ancestors, too. Glad to get to know you a little better!

    ReplyDelete