Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thankful Thursday: More new cousins!

While in Georgia over Labor Day, my mother and I drove to South Carolina to finally meet in person another cousin that found me through this blog.  "Ray" and I have exchanged emails and talked on the telephone numerous times, but this was the first time we had gotten together.  We had a wonderful visit and lunch.  He was also kind enough to bring many pictures to share of his side of the family. 

 
Then as a last minute treat, Cousin Keith arranged for me to meet another new cousin the night before I returned home.  Zachariah "Zack" Claxton, Jr. and I are actually related on both sides of my family!  We are double related!  On the Tapley side, he is my 2nd cousin.  On my Schwalls side, we are 3rd cousins, 1x removed.  The Claxtons have a book entitled Henry Claxton and Descendants, 1790-1980 by George W. Norris.  This is a book I had never before seen and it actually provided some new information on my Claxton and Bush ancestors.  There was even a picture of my 2nd great-grandmother, Lincelia Claxton Schwalls!

Lincelia E. Claxton Schwalls, April 10, 1839 - January 18, 1882

Also included in this book were pictures of the headstones of my 3rd great-grandparents, Zachariah and Lincelia Bush Claxton.  I need to add the Davis (Schwalls) Cemetery in Johnson County to my list of places I want to visit!




 (I know - terrible pictures.  But they are more than I had before!)

Zack and his wife were wonderful to talk with and share Tapley stories together.  We so enjoyed out visit, and I look forward to seeing them again whenever I visit Georgia next. 

I am very thankful for the cousins I have found... or who have found me.   It makes tangible the search I have been pursuing all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment