Saturday, January 14, 2012

Grandma's 1934 Diary, Week 2

(To read entries from my maternal grandmother's 1933 and 1934 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California." All posts are listed there.)

Key:



The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
Alice is her sister.
Kenneth is her brother.
Her parents.
H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
Delma = Hazel's little sister
Earl = Hazel's brother
Verda = Earl's wife
Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (Earl's child)
Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
Viella is Mary Viella Crites Hesser, Otho's wife.
Ruth & Kathryn are Otho and Viella's daughters.
Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
Herman (Williams) is Alice's husband.

Kenneth's (soon-to-be-ex) wife is also named Alice; her maiden name is unknown.

Sunday, January 7:  "We ate dinner at Barnetts.  Carols brought Kenneth home.  We didn't get to see them very long."

Monday, January 8:  "I went to school.  Dorothy Pate & I walked downtown & registered at the social service.  Mama & I took Kenneth to L.A. to stay with Hazel."

Tuesday, January 9:  "I went to school.  Made an appointment for a permanent.  Mama & I went over to Trowbridges & to Yucaipa & got a calender from Holsingers."

Wednesday, January 10:  "I went to school.  I got a permanent.  We went to a supper at the church in the evening."

Thursday, January 11:  "I went to school.  Dad has a bad cold.  Laura & Charles Br. came for dinner."

Friday, January 12:  "I went to school.  Dad worked on C.W.A.  Kenneth cabled up for me to come after him.  Met Hazel at Mentone.  Got Kenneth in Redlands."

Saturday, January 13:  "Dad worked on the C.W.A.  Kenneth took a long hike.  Mama & I made my blue tweed dress.  Hazel & I went to town in the evening."


No comments:

Post a Comment