Saturday, November 5, 2011

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - The Ancestry.com YouTube Channel

From Randy over at Genea-Musings:

Hey genea-peeps, it's SATURDAY NIGHT! - time for more GENEALOGY FUN!

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1)  visit the Ancestry.com YouTube Channel (which has 98 videos now) at http://www.youtube.com/user/AncestryCom.

2)  Watch one of these four videos:

** Ancestry.com LIVE: Search with Ancestry Anne with Anne Mitchell
** Ancestry.com LIVE: One Question with the Barefoot Genealogist with Crista Cowan
** Ancestry.com LIVE: Lorraine's 5 Tips for Online Grave Digging with Lorraine Bourne
** Ancestry.com LIVE: How do I use newspapers on Ancestry.com to find out more about my ancestors? with Crista Cowan     

3)  Go up to the YouTube search field and enter "genealogy" and your surname in the search field.  What results do you get?  Are there any videos of interest on that list, even if they're not about your surname?  Did you watch one of the videos?

4)  In the YouTube search field, enter "genealogy" and the name of one of your favorite genealogists.  What results do you get?  Did you watch one of the videos?

5)  Tell us about it in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post, or in a status Ine in Facebook, a Twitter tweet, or a stream item on Google Plus.

Here's mine:

1)  Done!

2)  I watched Ancestry.com LIVE: One Question with the Barefoot Genealogist with Crista Cowan. Like Randy, I also learned that the Los Angeles Times obituaries are in the "Historical Newspapers, Births, Marriages and Death Announcements" collection.  I didn't know that, and I will be using that tip!

3)  I entered "genealogy" and "Tapley" in the YouTube search field and did not get any results I could use, unfortunately.  I did start watching one video, but it was for the purpose of trying to sell you a definition of your surname. 

4)  I entered "genealogy" and "Thomas MacEntee", who is most everyone's favorite genealogist!  I got 20 hits.  I watched a couple of the videos.  The first was Thomas and Jean Wilcox Hibbens singing "Down at the River Side" at Jamboree last year.  Thomas has a wonderful voice.  The second video I watched as "Genealogy -- More than just names and dates".  The tag line reads, "Thomas MacEntee a new contributor to the Daily National speaks with TJ Walker about his ancestry and how others might learn more about their family history."  The video was posted about a month ago. 

5)  About to be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment