Friday, September 30, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Parts 36 and 37

(To read prior entries from my maternal grandmother's 1933 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California." All posts are listed there.)

Key:

The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
Alice is her sister.
Kenneth is her brother.
Her parents.
H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
Delma = Hazel's little sister
Earl = Hazel's brother
Verda = Earl's wife
Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (Earl's child)
Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
Viella is Otho's wife.
Ruth & Kathryn are Otho and Viella's daughters.
Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
Herman (Williams) is Alice's boyfriend.


Sunday, September 10: "H. & I went to S.S. Herman went home about 4 pm. H. went to L.A. on a truck with Joe. I stayed all night at Luciles."

Monday, September 11: "I waited for mama at Wilsons from 11 am till 5 pm. Wilsons moved out & we moved in. Alice & I stayed all night at Trowbridges. H. was there for supper. He feels pretty bad."

Tuesday, September 12: "I stopped by for H. on way to Redlands. Mama & Alice went with Livengoods to Berdo. H. & I went to Berdo."

Wednesday, September 13: "Mama worked on her dress at Hessers. H. & I stayed in Redlands & painted beds & did odd jobs. In the eve. rode to Yucaipa with Clara & Barney."

Thursday, September 14: "We worked hard to clean up the house. H. sure is fixing up the house. Laura was over to see Alices presents. We went to Berdo."

Friday, September 15: "Alice got her hair marceled. Clara waved mama's & mine. Herman came in late afternoon. Norah came up to see the presents. Got new windows in the car."

Saturday, September 16: "Hesser's here to dinner. Clara fixed Alice up for the wedding. Wedding was at 2:30 pm. H. was best man, I was bridesmaid. They went to San Diego. Went over to see Uncle Jont at hospital."



Sunday, September 17: "Hessers were here to dinner. Clara & Barney too. We made ice cream. Clara, Barney, H. & I went Marchfield & saw a baseball game. Mrs. Vogt called. We came to Yucaipa in eve."



Monday, September 18: "I started back to school. H. left for L. A. about 2 o'clock. Went up & got dad to see some prospective renters. I went to the show in the eve. by myself."

Tuesday, September 19: "Went to school. Herman & Alice stopped to get their wedding presents. Clara came up & I went home to supper with her. Laura came over for a little while."

Wednesday, September 20: "I went to school. We made trip morning, noon, & night to Yucaipa with things. We rented it for $25."

Thursday, September 21: "I went to school. Mama went to town with me. Went to San Berdo during lunch hour. Bot hat & pair of shoes. Got a letter from H."

Friday, September 22: "I missed the bus so took the car to school. Bought material for my blouse. Saw Lucile a few min. Went to Yucaipa for groceries."

Saturday, September 23: "We sure had a big washing today. I sewed on my blouse in the afternoon. Went to Yucaipa in the eve. to get sombody to pick peaches."

No comments:

Post a Comment