Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What my genotype indicates about my future

A few days ago, I shared the ancestry part of my DNA results.  Now I'd like to share the very interesting health results I received.

(1)  Disease Risk
         For someone with my genotype compared with average:
     
         I am at a higher risk for:
  • Venous Thromboembolism (blood clots)
  • Type 2 Diabetes
  • Age-related Macular Degenration
  • Atrial Fibrillation (irregular heart rhythm)
  •  Psoriasis
  • Colorectal Cancer
  • Exfoliation Glaucoma (I already have glaucoma.) 
  • Ulcerative Colitis
  • Scleroderma (Limited Cutaneous Type)
        I am at a lower risk for:
  •  Breast cancer
  • Alzheimer's Disease
  • Restless Leg Syndrome
  • Rheumatoid Arthritis
  • Melanoma
  • Parkinson's Disease
  • Multiple Sclerosis
  • Celiac Disease
  • Crohn's Disease
  • Type 1 Diabetes
  • Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma (ESCC)
  • Stomach Cancer (Gastric Cardia Adenocarcinoma)
What really surprised me is that I have only an average risk of having Coronary Heart Disease.

(2)  Carrier Status
         The variant is present for:

  • Hemochromatosis (iron overload)
In people with hemochromatosis, iron builds up in the body, causing organ damage— especially in the liver. (23andme.com)
  (3)  Drug Response
         Increased chance of hypersensitivity to:
  •  Oral Contraceptives, Hormone Replacement Therapy and Risk of Venous Thromboembolism
  • Warfarin is a drug that can help prevent blood clots. (23andme.com)
  • Warfarin (Coumadin®) Sensitivity
  • Heroin Addiction (Really?!  I do not think I need to worry about this one!) 
  • Postoperative Nausea and Vomiting (This is interesting... as I have never experienced this before.)
(4)  Traits
  •  Lactose Intolerance:  Likely tolerant
  • Malaria Resistance:  Not resistant  (There goes my African safari!)
  • Norovirus Resistance:  Not resistant
The good news is that I did not have an increased risk of Alzheimer's, Parkinson's Disease, MS, Lou Gehrig's Disease, or most cancers.  I have to admit this does relieve my mind. 

I do know that none of this is carved in stone.  However, it does give me a good idea of what to be vigilant about.  

Tonight, I sent out invitations to five of those in Relative Finder who showed the highest percentages of matching my DNA profile.  I did not have anyone closer than a 4th cousin show up, but the way I'm collecting cousins lately (A story for another blog post!), what's a few more?

1 comment:

  1. Ok you know I have to be my geeky scientific self tonight before I go to bed and I hope this makes sense because it's almost 1 am!!!! But Scleroderma is one of those MS related diseases...you know the one you get if you DON'T get MS like everyone else in your family. Be VERY careful with that one it is very bad for you! It says it cutaneous but it is totally incurable (and treatable) and a horrible disease, so watch out for that one! All the others are totally treatable so you're good :-) But make sure you get your colon scanned!!!!

    ReplyDelete