Friday, June 17, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Part 23

(To read prior entries from my maternal grandmother's 1933 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California."  All posts are listed there.)

Key:

The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
Alice is her sister.
Kenneth is her brother.
Her parents.
          H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
          Delma = Hazel's little sister
          Earl = Hazel's brother
          Verda = Earl's wife
          Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (Earl's, child)
          Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
          Viella is Otho's wife.
          Ruth & Kathryn are Otho and Viella's daughters.
          Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
          Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
          Herman (Williams) is Alice's boyfriend.


Sun., June 11:  "Alice & Herman went to S.S. & church in Redlands.  I went with H. & Earls' to Beaumont.  At noon H. & us ate dinner at Bernice's.  H. & I went to Epworth League.  Dad worked at Shultz's."

Mon., June 12:  "H. pick cherries at Crilly's I picked at Symmes.  I almost passed out for awhile.  Mrs. Cooper was over for awhile in the afternoon.  H. & I took a ride up toward Forest Home in the eve."

Tues., June 13:  "I picked cherries.  Alice sorted cherries.  In the eve. H. & I took Earl to the doctor.  H. & I went to the show.  We saw "Looking Forward" by F.D. Roosevelt."


Wed., June 14:  "Mama worked on my dress.  I took Earls' & Delma to Redlands.  We went to Marie's in the eve. & made ice cream."

Thurs., June 15:  "I picked cherries & Alice sorted cherries.  H., Alice & I went for a ride toward Forest Home in the eve.  Mama & Alice went over to Coopers' for a while in the eve."

Fri., June 16:  "I picked cherries (116 lbs.)  Viella & Kathryn were over for a little while.  H. went with some boys to Berdo."

Sat., June 17:  "Mama, Alice & I went to see Laura.  Took her to Berdo in afternoon.  In the eve. H. came over & Delma & H & I went to a show in Berdo."

This week there is a bonus from "child" Liz:

Mon., June 17, 1974:  "My uncle died."  This would have referred to my Uncle Champ Tapley.  Just in the last week, three of his granddaughters and a great-granddaughter has contacted me!  I am very blessed to be connecting with so many of my family members.

I did a search and found that Forest Home is a Christian Camp in the San Bernardino mountains not far from where my grandmother lived.  In 1933, it was a privately-owned resort.  You can learn about them and their programs at http://www.foresthome.org/index.php.

No comments:

Post a Comment