Friday, May 20, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Part 19

(To read prior entries from my maternal grandmother's 1933 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California."  All posts are listed there.)

Key:

The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
Alice is her sister.
Kenneth is her brother.
Her parents.
          H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
          Delma = Hazel's little sister
          Earl = Hazel's brother
          Verda = Earl's wife
          Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (Earl's, child)
          Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
          Viella is Otho's wife.
          Ruth & Kathryn are Otho and Viella's daughters.
          Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
          Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
          Herman (Williams) is Alice's boyfriend.


Sun., Mother's Day, May 14:  "It is warm for a change.  Alice & I went to S.S.  H. here to dinner.  H, Ben, Lillian & I went to ball game, then to Dietrichs & stayed for supper & played cards."

Mon., May 15:  "Went to Yucaipa to buy lumber for Mrs. West.  In afternoon went to San Berdo.  Got Alice excused.  We bot a rug for down home.  Mrs. West went home.  H. & I went over to Trowbridges in the eve."

Tues, May 16:  "Mama & I washed.  Dad worked for Pete.  Viella came over in eve. & stayed for supper.  H. came over & we went to Yucaipa."

Wed., May 17:  "Mama & I washed & ironed.  H. came about noon & I went with him to Verdas & spent the afternoon.  In the eve. Herman came. H & I & Ben & Lillian went to Marie's & had ice cream."

Thurs., May 18:  "Herman went home.  Mama & I went to Norah's.  I bot a suede jacket.  Norah had the Mothers' Club at her house.  Mama helped Aunt Kate awhile."

Fri., May 19:  "Mama cleaned the kitchen.  I washed.  H. came over in the eve. & I went to Yucaipa with him."

Sat., May 20:  "We went to Yucaipa for groceries.  In the afternoon mama & Alice worked on Alice's dress.  H., Ben, Lillian & I went to Berdo.  The Mentone Grain Mill burned down."

Note:  I did a quick search on Google for information on Mentone Grain Mill and it burning down in 1933, but came up with nothing.  If anyone else has better luck, I would love to hear what you find!

No comments:

Post a Comment