Thursday, April 28, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Pets

Week 17:  Pets. Did you have any pets as a child? If so, what types and what were their names. Do you have pets now? Describe them as well. If you did not have pets, you can discuss those of neighbors or other family members.

On my mother's side, I come from a long line of cat lovers:

Bessie Carter Ranney, my great-grandmother
Alice and Ethel Ranney, my grand aunt and grandmother


Linda Tapley, my mother

Me with my Gracie kitty
When I was growing up, I think we always had a cat.  There was.J J., the orange tabby that always climbed into my Uncle Hugh's car whenever he visited.  There was Scamper who was black and white and just the smartest little thing.  She stole everyone's heart who came in contact with her, including my father and Uncle Dempsey.  There was Sugar, another black and white kitty.  I know there were more, but I just can't think of all their names right now!  They were always a source of joy and happiness. Every child needs a pet to tell her troubles and secrets.

As an adult, I didn't waste any time getting my own cat.  My first was Mary.  She was my heart; the sweetest girl on earth.  I lost her to cancer in 2004.  She was 16 years old.  Next was Patches - the absolute meanest cat that ever lived.  She just passed away in 2010 at the ripe old age of 20.  There was Hannah, who passed through our lives for only a short while.  Kimmie, a Maine Coon, came along with Hannah and also passed away last year at age 21!  Now we have Gracie, age 7, Trixie, age 7, and Zeus, age 3.  Gracie is so sweet; I swear she channels Mary.  Trixie is a very smart cat - almost too smart - and very skittish.  Zeus is... going to be the death of me.  He is into everything, wild, crazy, exasperating, and very laid back, which is a good thing since we yell at him so much. 

Just last year, I got my first dog, Daisy.  I was never a dog person.  I did not dislike dogs; I just had never been around them.  Daisy stole my heart and is definitely spoiled rotten. 

I cannot imagine my life without my "babies" in it. 

Mary, 1988-2004
Patches, 1990-2010

Hannah, ??-2007

Kimmie, abt 1989 - 2010
Trixie, born 2003

Zeus  
Daisy, born 2007
 (Can you tell who I take pictures of????)

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History by Amy Coffin is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2011) that invite genealogists and others to record memories and insights about their own lives for future descendants. You do not have to be a blogger to participate. If you do not have a genealogy blog, write down your memories on your computer, or simply record them on paper and keep them with your files.

3 comments:

  1. What beautiful babies! BTW, we almost have more pictures of pets than of children in our photo albums!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Greta! We don't have (human) children so you can imagine how many pictures I have taken of the pets! LOL As a matter of fact, I went back through a couple of scrapbooks this morning looking for pictures of the childhood pets I mentioned in this post, and I couldn't believe how many pictures I have taken of my cats!!! They are better documented than most children, I wager! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are better off with Pets
    Kids cause to much trouble and cost to much

    ReplyDelete