Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunday's Obituary: Carolyn Tapley

Back in December, I did a Wednesday's Child post about my little first cousin, Carolyn Lorraine Tapley, who passed at only five months old (or to be precise, one week shy of being five months old).  (You can read that post here.)

I found her obituary the other day... it is as tiny as she was.


"TAPLEY. -- Funeral services for Carolyn Lorraine Tapley, 4-mouths-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh D. Tapley of Third Avenue, Riverhills, who died Wednesday morning, will be held in the Giddens Funeral Home Chapel, 116 Riverside Avenue, at 4 o'clock this afternoon, the Rev. T. J. Giddens officiating.  Besides the parents, the child is survived by her grandparents, Mrs. M. E. Norman, Orlando, and Mrs. L. K. Tapley, Jacksonville.  Interment will be in Restlawn Cemetery."

This little snippet is all I found in my grandmother's belongings; there was no date or newspaper indicated.  I feel sure it was the Jacksonville, Florida newspaper, probably printed either February 15 or 16, 1945.

In my previous post, I noted that my father always said the family moved Carolyn's final resting place after World War II.  However, this obituary indicates she was buried at Restlawn Cemetery from the start.  Hmmmm... no one is left to ask.  Another family mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment