Friday, February 18, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Part 6

(You can read prior entries from my grandmother's 1933 diary here:  Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4 and Part 5 )

Key:   The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
          Alice is her sister.
          H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
          Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
          Viella is Otho's wife.
          Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
          Herman is Alice's boyfriend.

Sun., February 12:  "Alice, Dad & Mrs. Cooper & I went to S. S.  H. came over in the afternoon.  I made some candy & H. & I went to the show.  We saw Stuarat Hamblin."

Mon., February 13:  "Dad worked.  H. & I went up to Beaumont & took Verda to town to look for a house.  Stopped on our way back to Maries & they took us in their car."

Tues., February 14:  "Dad worked.  Mama & I went to town.  We took Viella with us.  H. came ove rin the evening & we went to Yucaipa."

Wed., February 15:  "Mama & I washed.  Hazel & I went to town & we took Clint with us.  We got stopped by a policeman for not making a boulevard stop & not having a tail light or 1 rear light.  (We didn't get a ticket.)"

Thurs., February 16:  "Mama & I took Mrs. Cooper & Viella with us to an all day meeting at the church.  Clara waved my hair in the afternoon, Lucile came up & I went home with her.  We visited the Catholic Church."

Fri., February 17:  "Lucile & I went to San Berdo to see Freada.  She brought me home about 4:30.  H. came over & was mad, but we made up.  We went to Trowbridges.  Herman came up."

Sat., February 18:  "I have a bad cold.  Alice & Herman went to the Orange Show in the afternoon & Mama, dad, H. & I went in the evening.  H. won 1/2 lb. of bacon."

1 comment: