Friday, February 4, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Part 4

(You can read prior entries from my grandmother's 1933 diary here:  Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.)

Key:   The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
          Alice is her sister.
          H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
          Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
          Viella is Otho's wife.
          Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.

Sun., January 29, 1933:  "We stayed up all night.  Lucile & I towed Clints car home it had a broken piston.  We slept awhile & came to Yucaipa & went for a ride.  I stayed all night with Lucile."

Mon., January 30, 1933:  "Lucile & I got up about 10:30 am.  We got Dorothy Pence & went to town.  Mrs. Pences sister Ruth came yesterday to stay awhile.  I came home with Alice on the bus."

Tues., January 31, 1933:  "Laura, Ester & Mrs. Basinger came up.  I went to (Yucaipa) Redlands & got Viella.  The car leaked a stream of oil.  H. came over & fixed it."

Wed., February 1, 1933:  "H. came over in the morning.  He took me to church about 12:30.  I worked with Mrs. Houston & Mrs. Bowman.  Lucile & Ruth came to see me for a little while."

Thurs., February 2, 1933:  "Mr. Kemp came in the morning.  We went over to Hessers & took their scales back.  H. came over & we went to Plumlees & Trowbridges."

Fri., February 3, 1933:  "I made a 3 layer cocoanut cake.  H. came over & I went to Yucaipa with him.  Mama is starting a crazy quilt."

Sat., February 4, 1933:  "We went to Mentone & got some peanuts.  Took Spottie along & he got sick.  H. came over, stayed for supper & we visited McDonalds."

Such a simpler time!

1 comment:

  1. OK now for the past two days you have been talking about food - are you trying to get me FATER

    ReplyDelete