Thursday, February 17, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History


Week 7: Toys. What was your favorite childhood toy? Is it still being made in some form today?

There are several toys that come to mind when I think about my childhood, but I don't know that I have a favorite.  I will list my top three:

(1)  Fisher Price Classic Pull Toy: Chatter Telephone
This toy is still around today.  Fisher Price has a more updated version, but it is still easy to find the "classic" pull telephone toy.

(2)  Barbie and my Barbie case (or in my mind, her apartment)
 



(My case didn't look exactly like this one... this was the closest I could find!)

Of course, Barbie is still around today in a BIG way.  There are oodles of Barbie available, along with friends of Barbie.  I don't know if that case is still around, but there are still Barbie cases being made.  A girl has to have a bag to carry her Barbie and friends with her, doesn't she?  :)

(3)  My play kitchen 



There are play kitchens still available; however, I am sure there are none quite like this one.  It was made of *GASP* metal.  Yea, we didn't worry about things like that then.  Plastic may not have even been invented yet.  LOL 


Mary Elizabeth (Liz) playing with her refrigerator circa 1972.

Amy Coffin of the We Tree blog (http://wetree.blogspot.com/) has yet another successful series on her hands: 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History (http://www.geneabloggers.com/52-weeks-personal-genealogy-history/)

Toy pictures courtesy of Google images.

3 comments:

  1. We must be the same age...I had the EXACT same toys. Still have my twist and turn Barbie. Sold my suitcases at a yard sale though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had that phone! And the Barbie case looks familiar...maybe a friend had that. Thanks for the flashback and for participating in the 52-week series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That phone is so classic. What little kid didn't need a phone.

    ReplyDelete